The philosophy of the Northern Saints Teaching School Alliance is based strongly on partnership and that collaboration between schools in the Alliance and the wider school community is the only way to continually develop and improve teaching and learning for the benefit of students and the communities in which we work.
Underpinning this vision and reflected throughout the work of the Alliance is a strong Catholic ethos.
Aims and Initial Priorities
The National College for Teaching and Leadership provides teaching schools with three main key areas to help structure teaching school delivery. Northern Saints Teaching School Alliance will focus on these three key areas with the aim of raising standards in schools by enabling self-sustaining improvements in the quality of teaching and the quality of leadership.
The three key areas:
- School to School Support: The Alliance will focus on creating and supporting school improvement networks. This will be achieved by:
- Responding to the needs of schools within the Alliance
- Responding to requests from other schools
- SLE recruitment and deployment
- Workforce Development: The Alliance recognises that there is a need to ensure that talent in the teaching profession is nurtured and retained whilst improving outcomes for pupils. With a focus on school improvement and future proofing the talent supply chain within our schools, the Alliance will:
- Strengthen and develop networks across schools within the Alliance
- Provide opportunities for research and professional development
- Work to realise talent and grow teaching and leadership potential within and between schools
- Initial Teacher Training: Linked to the above area, it is critical that schools attract, develop and retain effective teachers. In order to achieve this, led by the Teaching School the Alliance will:
- Improve links with primary schools within the Alliance
- Maintain strong links with Teach First
- Support the transition and training of teacher trainees to become excellent teachers
- Focus on recruitment into underrepresented areas